What is MMA (Methyl Methacrylate) Resin Flooring?
MMA stands for methyl methacrylate, which is a extremely versatile flooring system offering a great deal of flexibility for a variety of commercial and industrial environments.
The ultra-fast curing floors available at DC Flooring are ideal for applications which require quick installation, high safety, unmatched durability and a hassle-free installation. From schools and hospitals to airports, car parks and aerospace hangers to commercial kitchens, malls, factories and productions facilities. Suitable for a broad range of industries, where safety, quality and aesthetics are a key priority.
Resin flooring systems have been traditionally used to create absolutely seamless, hardwearing and hygienic floor finishes across multiple industries. Our resin floors in particular boast unparalleled functionality and durability while also upping the aesthetic appeal of your commercial facility, making it look more professional and trustworthy.
Our in-house team of floor engineers and installers can meet practically any resin flooring requirement, no matter which industry you are in.
We offer a range of resin flooring systems – from smooth and aesthetically pleasing products for reception areas or showrooms to more durable, hygienic and safety-focused ones meant for industrial or commercial use, such as production facilities, warehouses and factories. Each system is available in a unique range of colours and finishes, which can all be customised according to the specific application as well as your personal preferences or business requirement.
Our teams can install your customised resin floor in a short period of time, no matter what time of year it is or what the weather conditions may be. We’ve install floors even in excessively cold conditions with temperatures way below 0°C. All installation are done by our highly trained and experienced in-house teams who will complete the job with minimal disruption to your day-to-day business activities.
MMA flooring for rapid installation, unmatched safety and aesthetic appeal
Methyl methacrylate flooring is the ultimate solution for rapid installations in extreme temperature and weather conditions. This specialist flooring solution has numerous properties – including high chemical, abrasion, slip and water resistance – which have proven to be very beneficial across a range of industries.
Main Benefits of MMA Resin Flooring
Fast installation and curing times
MMA floors can be ready to use in under two hours after application, as installation can be done a lot quicker than most polyurethane or epoxy flooring, which require at least a few days for their hardening process. So, this means less downtime for your business operations, allowing you to meet critical deadlines and stay in “business as usual” mode.
Compared to other resin systems such as epoxy, acrylic or polyurethane, labour costs can be reduced as there is very little wasted time waiting for a new layer of mma coating to dry.
Even at temperatures as low as minus 20 degrees, MMA flooring products can be installed with ease and trafficable in as little as two hours. Due to fact the system can be installed at temperatures like this, means that it is ideal for a wide range of environments and refurbishment projects.
Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds)
MMA has a very distinct odour during and shortly after installations, which is easily dissipated with natural airflow. This is due to the rapid curing process involved, although it is quite pungent it is relatively harmless and only really aggravates sensitive individuals. We still recommend clearing the area while we are working to avoid inexperienced people being exposed to it.
Many floor systems and finishes emit something called volatile organic compounds into the air, even years after application, which can potentially be hazardous to human health and even sensitive electronic equipment. However, by installing a low-VOC system such as MMA, you can effectively cut down the amount of toxins dispersed into the air, making for a more environmentally and business-friendly flooring solution.
You certainly don’t want your staff, customers or visitors falling ill due to inhaling toxic fumes from the floor coating. Some businesses do make this mistake in a bid to save money but end up paying the price.
High chemical resistance
Chemical spills can destroy a floor’s coating and finish. Luckily, MMA floors are abrasion and chemical resistant, which means your floor will always be protected from stains, spills and splashes from solvents, alkalis, acids, powders and a range of corrosive elements typically present in industrial settings.
Variations of this product mean we can install an mma floor on a wide variety of subfloors. This flexible system uses chemically advanced technology allowing the finished floor to be laid on plywood, metal, screeds, as well as concrete floors. A flexible mma primer needs to be installed creating a chemical bond, then the flexible body coat and sealers are applied afterwards, providing a system that will move with the subfloor below.
Slip and impact resistance
These flooring systems can be installed with a range of textures to meet varying slip resistance requirements, to improve traction and reduce the risk of falls and slip/trip accidents. They also offer excellent resistance to daily foot traffic, heavy equipment being hauled across the floor, or tools/heavy objects being dropped involuntarily. In fact, many car park operators and production facility owners opt for resin flooring systems due to this reason alone – simply put, it makes for a safer, more productive environment where specific signage and messaging can help to create an even more safety-focused and professional-looking business environment.
Brewery floors for example or those in food and drink manufacturing plants are subject to a lot of spills, as well as being exposed to different chemicals, such as colourings, preservatives and additives. All this can cause cracks to appear in the concrete subfloor and make the working area potentially unsafe.
Having an MMA floor coating installed can potentially save you from costly repairs – the added water resistance means that penetration of any kind of liquid can be avoided, thus, protecting and preserving your production floors for many years to come.
Very easy to clean and maintain
These systems are renowned for their easy cleaning and maintenance. Since each industrial/commercial environment has its unique range of requirements and standards to comply with, our team will work with you to provide the right cleaning and maintenance plan according to your business needs.
Resistance to extreme temperatures
Extremely cold areas like freezers and coolers built out of entire rooms require floors which can easily stand up to very harsh and low temperatures. Industrial floors where heavy machinery is used for producing metal parts, for example, must also be able to withstand temperatures that are extreme. This system is ideal in both instances, providing fast drying times in all weather conditions.
What Kind of Industries can Benefit From MMA Resin Floors?
Food and drink processing
Food and beverage production facilities are often exposed varying temperature conditions, some of which can be extreme. This can especially make it difficult to install the desired flooring type. With MMA flooring, these issues can be done away with as these flooring systems allow unrivalled drying times in extreme temperatures.
Industrial and commercial manufacturing
Impact and abrasion resistance is often a key concern when installing floors in a manufacturing or production facility. MMA boasts properties which can easily stand up to impacts and abrasion caused by daily foot traffic, forklift trucks and other heavy equipment or machinery.
Retail floors are subject to a fair amount of wear and tear and, as such, need to be able to withstand heavy foot traffic or wheeled movement, in order to keep up with consumer demand. MMA flooring is designed to withstand high traffic while maintaining excellent wear characteristics and design aesthetics.
Schools, colleges and universities aren’t in a position to afford any downtime or closure which may be needed for floor installations or repairs – they need to be prepared to deal with floor installation or maintenance at a moment’s notice. This is where this product is ideal as it can easily be installed within a day or preferably, over the weekend. It can even be installed overnight, allowing students to return to school on Monday! It’s also super-easy to clean and maintain throughout the year.
Hotels and restaurants simply cannot afford to be idle as they must serve customers around the clock and throughout the year. A long floor installation process is something that will lead to lost revenue. Therefore, this product minimises this concern by having the installation done overnight or at the most, within a day.
Sports & entertainment
Sports and entertainment centres must always ensure the utmost safety and comfort for their audiences as well as participants/players. This is why they must have their floors protected with a slip resistant solution, which can drastically reduce the risk of trips, slips, falls and injuries or accidents. Our MMA installations are available in a range of colours, designs and textures, giving your sports and entertainment facility a very eye-pleasing and professional look.
Why Choose DC Flooring for Your MMA Resin Flooring Needs?
Experience and Expertise: Our team has extensive experience and expertise in the installation of these robust products. We are FeRFA approved and have successfully completed a large number of projects across various industries and applications.
High-Quality Materials: We use top-quality materials from reputable suppliers, ensuring the flooring’s durability, chemical resistance, and longevity. Sika, Flowcrete and Degafloor mma resins are to name but a few of the reputable manufacturers that we are approved installers for.
Customised Solutions: We offer tailored solutions to meet your specific needs and requirements. Whether it’s a commercial, industrial, or residential project, we can provide the right advice for your application.
Professional Installation: At DC Flooring we are blessed with vast experience in fitting these technical systems. Our skilled and trained technicians ensure precise and efficient installation, minimising downtime and disruptions to your operations.
Health and Safety: We adhere to strict safety standards and regulations during the installation process, prioritizing the well-being of our team and clients.
Customer Satisfaction: We prioritise customer satisfaction and strive to deliver excellent service from project planning to completion. Our team is responsive and communicative, addressing any questions or concerns promptly.
Competitive Pricing: We offer competitive pricing without compromising on the quality of materials or workmanship.
Warranty and Support: Our installations come with warranties to give you peace of mind, and we provide ongoing support to address any post-installation issues.
Versatile Applications: Our solutions can be used in a wide range of environments, including commercial kitchens, industrial facilities, retail spaces, car parks and more.
When choosing a company for your project, carefully evaluate their credentials, reviews, and portfolio to ensure they can deliver the quality and service you expect. Contact the company directly to discuss your needs, get a detailed quote, and ask any additional questions to make an informed decision.
All subfloor preparation is done in-house using our specialised equipment – shotblasting, scabbling, and concrete grinding
You’re only a phone call away from investing in leading-class flooring systems, all approved by FeRFA.
How Long Does It Take To Install MMA Floors?
The installation time for MMA (Methyl Methacrylate) flooring systems can vary depending on several factors, including the size of the area, the condition of the substrate, the complexity of the project, and the specification of the system. However, MMA floors are known for their speed of cure, which can significantly reduce the overall installation time compared to other types of flooring systems.
Typically, the installation process for MMA floors involves the following steps:
- Surface Preparation: The existing subfloor needs to be thoroughly cleaned and prepared prior to installation of this system. This step may involve cleaning, grinding, or shot blasting the surface to remove contaminants and create a suitable surface profile for a mechanical bond.
- Priming: Applying a primer is essential to enhance the bond to the substrate and the MMA flooring system. The primer also helps to seal the substrate and prevent the formation of air bubbles during the installation.
- MMA Application: The MMA resin is mixed with a catalyst (hardener) on-site, and the resulting mixture is spread and levelled over the prepared subfloor. MMA flooring systems are self-leveling, which helps achieve a smooth and even surface.
- Broadcasting (Optional): In some cases, decorative flakes, quartz or aggregates may be broadcasted into the MMA to create a decorative finish or textured finish. This installation layer adds a variety of colours, aesthetics and slip resistance. However the the system is also available in a block colour monolithic finish.
- Curing: MMA flooring systems have rapid curing times, often measured in minutes rather than hours. The floor can become walkable and ready for light use within a short time after installation.
- Full Cure: While MMA floors are quick to cure initially, they continue to gain strength and chemical resistance over the next few hours or days. Depending on the specific MMA product used, the floor may reach its full cure and chemical resistance within 24 to 48 hours.
Due to the fast curing nature of MMA floors, they are particularly advantageous in projects where minimal downtime is essential. For example, MMA flooring is commonly used in environments like commercial kitchens, food processing facilities, industrial plants, and other high-traffic areas where rapid installation and quick return to service are critical.
The exact installation time will vary depending on the size and complexity of the project, as well as any specific conditions or requirements of the site. It is essential to consult with experienced flooring contractors who can provide a more accurate estimate based on the specific project details.
Is Methyl Methacrylate Flooring Flammable?
MMA (Methyl Methacrylate) flooring systems are not considered highly flammable once they have cured and fully polymerized. During the installation process, the MMA does have flammable properties since it contains volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that can evaporate and create flammable vapours. However, these vapours disperse and dissipate as the MMA resin cures and solidifies.
Once the MMA flooring has fully cured, it becomes a solid and stable material with improved fire resistance. MMA floors typically have fire ratings that meet safety standards and regulations for flooring materials.
It is essential to note that during the installation of MMA flooring, it is necessary to take proper precautions to prevent the risk of fire. This includes ensuring adequate ventilation to disperse the flammable vapors and avoiding open flames, sparks, or other ignition sources in the vicinity of the installation area.
After the installation is complete and the MMA flooring has fully cured, it is considered a safe and fire-resistant flooring option. However, it is crucial to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for use, maintenance, and any restrictions related to fire safety to ensure the flooring’s long-term performance and safety.
How long does resin flooring last?
The lifespan of these systems can vary significantly depending on several factors, including the type of resin used, the quality of installation, the level of maintenance, and the type of environment in which the flooring is installed. Generally, resin flooring is known for its durability and longevity, making it a popular choice for various commercial, industrial, and residential applications.
Here are some average lifespan estimates:
- Epoxy Flooring: Epoxy flooring is one of the most common types of floor coatings. When properly installed and maintained, epoxy floors can last anywhere from 5 to 20 years or more, depending on the level of foot traffic, mechanical stresses, and chemical exposure they endure.
- Polyurethane Flooring: Polyurethane systems are known for their excellent flexibility and abrasion resistance. They can have a lifespan similar to epoxy flooring, lasting between 5 to 20 years, depending on the conditions and maintenance.
- Methyl Methacrylate (MMA) Flooring: MMA flooring is valued for its rapid drying and fast return to service. With proper installation and maintenance, MMA floors can last between 7 to 15 years.
- Polyaspartic Flooring: Polyaspartic flooring is a type of fast-drying polyurea coating known for its high durability. When well-maintained, polyaspartic floors can last around 10 to 15 years.
It’s important to remember that these are rough estimates, and the actual lifespan can vary based on the specific product’s formulation, the application method, the quality of installation, and the intensity of use and maintenance. Here are some factors that can influence the longevity of your flooring:
- Traffic and Usage: High foot traffic, heavy machinery, and frequent exposure to mechanical stresses can accelerate wear on the flooring, potentially reducing its lifespan.
- Chemical Exposure: Resin flooring may be more or less resistant to different chemicals, depending on the type of system and formulation. Harsh chemicals and spills can affect the floor’s integrity and longevity.
- Maintenance: Regular cleaning, maintenance, and periodic resealing or top-coating can extend the life of flooring significantly.
- Substrate Preparation: Proper surface preparation before installing the coatings is critical for achieving a strong bond and maximizing the floor’s lifespan.
- Environmental Conditions: Extreme temperature fluctuations, exposure to UV light, and other environmental factors can impact the durability of the flooring.
To ensure the longest possible lifespan for your flooring project, it’s essential to work with experienced flooring contractors, follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for installation and maintenance, and choose the right flooring system for the specific application and environment. Regular inspections and proactive maintenance can help identify and address issues early, preserving the floor’s integrity and extending its service life.
How Toxic Is Methyl Methacrylate?
Methyl Methacrylate (MMA) can pose health risks, particularly during its liquid state or when its vapours are released. As a liquid monomer used in the production of various materials, including thermoplastics and coatings, MMA has some toxic properties that must be taken into consideration when handling and working with it. Here are some key points about the toxicity of Methyl Methacrylate:
- Irritant: MMA is considered a skin, eye, and respiratory irritant. Direct contact with the liquid can cause irritation to the skin and eyes. Inhalation of the vapours can irritate the respiratory system, leading to symptoms like coughing, throat irritation, and shortness of breath.
- Sensitizer: Prolonged or repeated exposure to MMA can sensitize individuals, leading to allergic reactions upon subsequent exposures.
- Volatile Organic Compound (VOC): MMA is classified as a VOC, which means it can evaporate at room temperature and contribute to indoor air pollution. Elevated levels of MMA vapours in enclosed spaces can lead to health concerns.
- Flammability: As mentioned in a previous response, MMA is flammable, and its vapours can form explosive mixtures in the air.
- Occupational Exposure Limits: Many countries and occupational health organizations have established occupational exposure limits (OELs) for MMA to protect workers. These limits specify the maximum allowable concentration of MMA in the air over an average workday.
To minimize the risks associated with MMA, it is essential to follow proper safety measures when working with the substance:
- Use adequate ventilation in areas where MMA is handled or used to prevent the accumulation of vapours.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), including gloves, safety goggles, and respiratory protection, when handling MMA.
- Avoid direct skin contact with the liquid MMA to prevent irritation and potential sensitization.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and safety data sheets for the proper storage, handling, and disposal of MMA.
This is why it is extremely important to use established and experienced contractors to install this system.
If you suspect exposure to MMA or experience symptoms of irritation after handling the substance, seek medical attention promptly. For occupational settings, employers should conduct regular risk assessments and provide proper training and safety measures to minimize the risk of exposure for workers handling MMA.